Thursday, July 05, 2007

Penny

I found a penny
Picked it up
After all
It was good luck

I took that penny
To a wishing well
I made a wish
And down it fell

To my amazement
My wish came true
When I looked on the ground
And I saw two

Two little pennies
Meant two more wishes
All of this wishing
Was quite delicious

So I made a wish
And gave ‘em a drop
I fully expected
My luck would stop

But there on the ground
Was a shiny new nickel
And from my head to my toes
I was nothing but tickled

My nickel became a dime
My dime became a quarter
And over and over and over
And over

Then I had thousands
Then millions. Then billions
Then whatever the heck
Comes after gazillions.

Now this is one
Remarkable thing
I started with a penny
Now I’m set like a king

But I guess I must’ve
Been here awhile
‘Cuz I’m old and gray
And I started a child

I’ve got little to show
For all of my wishes
No family, no friends
Just a whole lot of riches

If I could go back in time
And go back to that day
I would’ve found someone in need
And given that penny away

Wait! Hold on!
What am I thinking?
I’m at a magic well
I can go back without blinking

So I took the gazillion
And threw it all in
“Take me back to that day”
I said once and again

But nothing happened
All was the same
Just an old man standing
With nothing but shame

Guess you can wish
For as much money as you please
But a wish for more time
Is just a wish on the breeze

No comments:

Google