Saturday, December 09, 2006

Draggin' dragon

Today I saw a dragon,
Whose head was low and draggin’.
Draggin’ on the ground
“What’s wrong?” I asked
“Why so glum?
You’re the saddest dragon around.”

The dragon lifted a single eye
Then he let out
an incredible sigh.
“I can’t breathe fire..
There’s no damsel at my side.
I don’t have a castle to guard.
No island to shield.
Or treasure to hide.
I’m nothing special
Hardly a dragon at all
‘cept I’ve got scales on my back
and I’m seventy feet tall.”

“It’s not so bad”,
I quickly replied
“If you breathed fire,
Everyone would be fried.
If you had a damsel
She’d be in distress,
Then you’d be hunted down
across the wilderness.
If you had a castle to guard,
you couldn’t leave your post
Not even to eat
whatever dragons eat most.
If you had an island,
you’d be all alone.
No friends, no one to play with,
or even call on the phone.
And sure, you’ve got scales,
more than I can see
And yes you’re much taller
than the highest of trees.
But there’s not one reason to be draggin’ around.
Seems you’ve got it better than most dragons in town.

“Maybe you’re right”,
as his head rose from the earth.
“I’m free to be me,
and that has plenty of worth.
I can laugh and dance.
I don’t have a post,
And I’m free to eat
whatever dragons eat most.”
“Which is what?”
I wondered and curiously inquired.
And the dragon looked
as if suddenly inspired.
“Well it’s funny you should ask me that,
my tiny little matey
‘cuz it involves you”
“Really?” I asked.
“Yup”
And then he ate me.

No comments:

Google